The Palace of Collalto Street, dates back to the XIIIth century, it is protected as an historical asset by the Superintendency of Venice.
The construction of the building took place in the historic centre where the Roman city of Tarvisium once existed.
In 1200 a Florentine man erected the Palace with a loggia in front of it, as was usual in Florence; the current columns date back to that period. The entrance is on the front of the building as it appears in the historical maps and the access through a vault that still exists.
Inside the building there are also traces of frescoes and balconies from the Middle Age.
Later the building has been acquired by the Collalto princess and annexed to their property in the city; traces of the two doors that connected the different portions are still evident.
The bombing of 1945 destroyed a huge portion of the Palace, but not the current building.
The long restoration work, that took place under the guidance of the architect Gemin Luciano, brought the noble floor of the building back to its historical setting. All the ancient elements which characterized the Palace throughout its all life, have been preserved and enhanced because all the design interventions, that were wisely made during the last restoration, coexists with all the ancient elements.
The restorations were carried out by artisans which made Venetian palace’s restorations too. In particular way, we figured out that the designer has created a common thread with the interventions of silvery mosaics and gold leaf that starts from the ground floor, continuing on the noble floor and arrives to the bedrooms on he second floor, the mosaics were executed by the historic Orsoni furnace of Venice active since XIXth century, the same furnace supplies materials for the restoration of mosaics and artworks inside the Venetian Byzantine churches and palaces also in Ravenna.
De Luigi, a Venetian decorator, has plastered the inside and outside of the palace according to the method of the Venetian Renaissance, that is called Venetian plaster.
The Venetian terrace was placed by the historic Morselletto laboratory which has been operating for over 100 years and it was called: “I sarti del marmo”.
The bedrooms area and the stairs were handcrafted out of a destroyed ancient barn’s chestnut wood, once located in Alpago.
The ground floor and the external pavings were made by laying a lot of “chianche” (limestone slabs from Puglia), while the steps were used to cover the enclosing wall built with old rock bricks typical of Treviso.
The garden was created in collaboration with Anna Pereyra, a well-known professional gardener from Turin and a collaborator of the magazine “Gardenia”, it has been raised to partially hide a gravel road where some cars can be parked. Inside we can find the placement for the pools that created a play of water for a vertical garden with a small waterfall on a mirror. Some centenary plants allows to a perfect isolation and also let you enjoy a relax space and also to eat outside under a pergola, covered with a vine plant.